Thursday 16 January 2014

Introducing Lens Chimping: A Creative New Technique

Introducing Lens Chimping: A Creative New Photography Technique


 


So, for a while now I’ve shared photography techniques I’d worked on throughout my career. Every wedding season I try to share something new with everyone and I love seeing what other photographers have done with prisming, freelensing, and brenizer methods (aka. bokeh panoramas).


Now it’s time for my latest technique: I call it lens chimping.Introducing Lens Chimping: A Creative New Photography Technique


I call it that because it’s accomplished by shooting through a hand-held convex lens element in front of the lens on your camera. The resulting effect is a delicious blend of reflections and circularly shaped light orbs with a bit of a freelens/prism blended look — but Unlike a prism you won’t get any straight forward reflections.


This is kind of a natural continuation from prisming as the techniques are largely the same but give very different looks. I also prefer the simple convex lens because it fits much better in a pocket and doesn’t confuse airport security guards.


It’s a really easy way to add some interest to those usually static “getting ready” photos of people sitting in chairs. Though, it’s probably best to use the technique in a situation where you have a lot of control … like portraits.




Introducing Lens Chimping: A Creative New Technique

No comments:

Post a Comment